Happy Band Geek Thursday! Today's playlist comes from Madelyn Rosenberg, one half of the duo (along with Mary Crockett) responsible for Dream Boy. Come check it out!
Annabelle Manning feels like she’s doing time at her high school in Chilton, Virginia. She has her friends at her lunchtime table of nobodies. What she doesn’t have are possibilities. Or a date for Homecoming. Things get more interesting at night, when she spends time with the boy of her dreams. But the blue-eyed boy with the fairytale smile is just that—a dream. Until the Friday afternoon he walks into her chemistry class.
One of friends suspects he’s an alien. Another is pretty sure it’s all one big case of deja vu. While Annabelle doesn’t know what to think, she’s willing to believe that the charming Martin Zirkle may just be her dream come true. But as Annabelle discovers the truth behind dreams—where they come from and what they mean—she is forced to face a dark reality she had not expected. More than just Martin has arrived in Chilton. As Annabelle learns, if dreams can come true, so can nightmares.
* "Dream a Highway" by Gillian Welch ~ I’m leading with this because I can’t do enough preaching about Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and because this hits the right mood for a certain chapter that I’m not going to describe any further because, you know, spoilers.
* "I Have Always Been Here Before" by Roky Erickson ~ Roky had a lot of nightmares so there are a thousand songs by him I could have used, but I love the haunting beauty of this one. In truth, between vampires and two-headed dogs I could have done a whole playlist of just Roky songs, which also would feature You Don't Love Me Yet, I Think of Demons & Goodbye Sweet Dreams.
* "I’m Only Sleeping" by The Beatles ~ I couldn’t find the Beatles version on Spotify but Rosanne Cash does a great cover. Anyway, I feel like this describes Annabelle’s every day life when we first meet her.
* "I’ve Got Dreams to Remember" by Otis Redding ~ Because: Otis.
* "Dream Lover" by Big Star ~ One of my favorite bands of all time, though I suppose by bringing this song in I’m just thinking literally.
* "Enter Sandman" by Metallica ~ Billy Stubbs would like this one. Nice and heavy.
* "Welcome to My Nightmare" by Alice Cooper ~ This one’s for Billy, too.
* "In Perfect Dreams" by KD Lang ~ Here’s one with a classic sound that’s pitch perfect for Annabelle’s mom.
* "Dream On" by Aerosmith ~ Because how could I not?
* "Space Oddity" by David Bowie ~ Here’s one with a shoutout to Martin Zirkle, our resident alien.
* "Keeper of the Mountain" by The Flatlander ~ This one captures the spirit of Virginia, even if it was written by a bunch of Texas boys.
* "Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes ~ I know, right? But there was actually a scene in the book (that we ended up cutting) where we had Will and Annabelle dancing to this song at Annabelle’s cousin’s wedding. Had to include it.
* "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" by Bob Dylan ~ Love.
* "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by the Eurythmics ~ I’m showing my age with this one, I know. This was the dream song when I was in high school.
* "Virginia Moon" by the Foo Fighters ~ This one’s for you, Virginia
* "Camera" by REM ~ And one for Will. Achy.
* "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" from Book of Mormon ~ Okay, Annabelle isn’t Mormon but I think she’d recognize a great production number if she saw it.
* "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac ~ Because it all comes back to the crystal visions of Fleetwood Mac.